Sunday, November 18, 2012

What Is News-Worthy? Obama, Ole Miss, Racism, Protests, Cultivating Change

I don't watch "The News".
Not ever...  Not for many years...  Not even on "Election Night".

I'd passionately encourage everyone to take a "News-Break" -- even for a little while.

As a result of not watching "The News":  
Once in a great while, the weather catches me off-guard. But, I live in San Francisco and:  "If you don't like the weather in San Francisco - - cross the street.".

Since I don't watch "The News", it's been years (thankfully) since I had to sit through a C.S.I. script-worthy, graphically-detailed story of a real-life, violent crime with no "Happy Ending" and in which the perpetrator may or may not be in custody and/or dead.


The result of which:  I sleep better.

Well - "better" being a relative term - I sleep "better" than I did when I would watch the news.

And, not watching "The News" also means that - occasionally - I don't hear about a truly news-worth story when it breaks.  If it breaks.


So, Thank Whomever for the Internet(!), because I've just found one of those truly news-worthy stories...

The Incident: A racially-fueled protest that broke out at Ole 'Miss (The University of Mississippi) after President Obama won re-election.
Needless to say, I haven't a clue if the incident ever "broke" as a news-story in the national media or network news.  

But, it's a story that's well worth your time.

Why?  Because, this is no robotic, dispassionate announcement of some unfortunate event.

There is a very brief description of the protest.  After which a small group of thoughtful citizens from different backgrounds engages in a calm, rational, meaningful discussion in which they offer some real-life, achievable actions - and describe, exactly, whom needs to take those actions - the result of which would be the initiation of change in some of those variables which lead to the protest.

This is what "The News" could... nay - Should be.

From Melissa Harris-Perry:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings From San Francisco!
Thanks For Reading Forget Big Brother...
I hope you find something herein that is informative, inspires interest, laughter, action and provides you with Gifts of Unknown Things.
Feel Free to Say "Hello!", Leave Comments, Offer Encouragement, Share a Funny or Related Item.
Best Wishes.
L.