Wednesday, July 06, 2011

The Men Who Stare At Goats: The Rest Of The Story... It's A Trip!

I just watched The Men Who Stare At Goats on Netflix. And, I wanted to share the review I submitted:
Netflix's "Most Helpful" Review(er) said: "Son of Dr Strangelove, headed for cult movie status." ~ I agree. Absolutely! Although I came to this movie with more information on the subject than the average viewer probably has and, therefore, found it didn't quite live up to what I'd hoped it would be (I'd hoped for a "serious" take on the subject)... once I accepted that the filmmakers had simply taken it in another, campy, "Quixotic" direction,  I really enjoyed TMWSAG.

Netflix's 3rd Review(er) said: "Psychic branch of the Military Specials Forces is a bit of a stretch for openers."  Actually...no, it isn't "a stretch". Several years ago, I'd heard about and read up on the U.S. military's forays into researching and evaluating the value of utilizing the remarkable skills of those with highly-developed/naturally-advanced "psychic" abilities and discern whether or not such skills would be of worthwhile benefit to and/or create a significant advantage for the US military/intelligence communities. If you're interested, Google it. SRI (Stanford Research Institute) was one of the highly-respected facilities used in the research of remote-viewing. American physicists Harold Puthoff and Russell Targ were lead researchers. Also, MK-Ultra - mentioned briefly in the film - was real. It was a covert and highly-illegal CIA operation in which the spooks actually dosed unwitting civilians with LSD (in San Francisco) and then followed them around to see how they reacted. At the time, the CIA was hoping to develop an effective mind-control method. Seriously. Please take the time to look into the fascinating (and harrowing) history behind the premise of the movie... that is, if you believe the government when they say that all those programs ended in the 1970's. Kurt (Cobain) was right. Just because I'm paranoid...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings From San Francisco!
Thanks For Reading Forget Big Brother...
I hope you find something herein that is informative, inspires interest, laughter, action and provides you with Gifts of Unknown Things.
Feel Free to Say "Hello!", Leave Comments, Offer Encouragement, Share a Funny or Related Item.
Best Wishes.
L.