Monday, October 03, 2016

The War On Terror: Extraordinary Circumstances, Extraordinary Measures and American Values* (*Thanks, Supergirl!)



I was just in the middle of watching an episode of Supergirl on Netflix*:
Season 1 Ep, 14: "Truth, Justice and The American Way".

(*If you haven't seen it, please consider giving it a try.  I'd put off watching it for a long time - Another superhero show?  Are they kidding?.  And, then, I watched the pilot.  After which, I watched the first five episodes back-to-back in a mini-marathon.)

At 17:52, the character, James Olson (played by Mehcad Brooks
), is having a conversation with Supergirl (played by Melissa Benoist).  And, what transpired was a short speech that - when I heard it - I thought, "Eureka! (or, something like that)  That's, (almost) exactly, what I've wished someone/everyone would say to the U.S. military/intelligence community!"

So, taking a cue from the sharp writers of Supergirl - and with some of my own, 
personal editing for proper content and context - here's my version of that speech:

"To Whom It May Concern At The F.B.I., C.I.A., N.S.A., D.I.A., D.O.D., et al.:

When you have more power than any other military/intelligence network on Earth, you must be better than taking a page out of your enemy's handbook.

In every endeavor or conflict - whether it's ground warfare, the (perpetual) war on terror or matters of national security - victory doesn't just come down to a battle of strength or smarts or wills.

Ultimately, it comes down to a battle of values.

Our American Values versus our enemy's values - or lack, thereof.

And, if we're willing to abandon our American Values...

Then what, exactly, is it that makes us any better than our enemy?

If - as claimed - we believe in Truth, Justice and The American Way...

Then, we cannot and must not lower our own standards by taking actions which are in direct opposition to our American Values or by doing whatever it takes.*
 (*
i.e torture, enhanced interrogation, extraordinary rendition, suspension of Constitutional/civil/human rights)."
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings From San Francisco!
Thanks For Reading Forget Big Brother...
I hope you find something herein that is informative, inspires interest, laughter, action and provides you with Gifts of Unknown Things.
Feel Free to Say "Hello!", Leave Comments, Offer Encouragement, Share a Funny or Related Item.
Best Wishes.
L.