Wednesday, October 24, 2007

My MySpace Mutiny...Then... a Murder.

My Space... What A Concept!

I think it was fun... in the beginning...
You know before it was bought and digested by Fox (You Call That...) News and Rupert Murdoch.

What I appreciated most about My MySpace page was that it was there that I discovered The Joys of Blogging!

I wasn't particularly looking for new friends. Networking?... No Thanks.
But in Blogging, I found Greater Self-Realization... Self-Actualization... Self-Confidence and, of course, Self-Expression.
Through My MySpace Blog, I finally found an outlet, a place where I could speak my mind, whether I was giddly-happy at some sublime experience; quietly grieving over the loss of a friend, or quaking in utter disbelief at the latest, disastrous Bush regime decision/declaration...

From there, I could be Heard... Laughing... Remembering... Sounding Alerts... To no one in particular... Yet - at the same time - potentially heard by/read by... people all across Our Amazing Planet.

Wow...

It's humbling.
And, in spite of my percieved ambivalence, I did find Friends, Thankfully.
Wonderful, Colorful, Creative Friends - from all over Planet Earth - who are Passionate about Cultivating Global Enlightenment, as I am.

Often, I'd hear or read a brief blurb about some person or event somewhere... one that I felt deserved better and more thorough coverage and/or a chance of greater exposure. I'd research the subject via the Internet and, when I was fortunate enough to find a thoughtful article or post that was, itself, well-researched and well worth reading... I'd Create A New Blog.

My Blogs usually had Four Main Parts to them:
1.) A Title meant to Catch the Eye and Lure the Reader to Read on.
I aimed for Funny, plays on words, etc.
2.) My own Op-Ed/Opinion.
This usually included a brief explanation of the topic of my Blog and Why I was Blogging about it.
3.) An article or post on the topic, with proper credits and links to the source.
4.) Pictures, Graphics or Maps.
These were either directly-related to the topic or were images that I spent time digging up that were related, but in a humorous way.

Then, Something Unexpected Happened...

The Blog that I had begun writing, initially, for my own Mental Health...
Developed a Following!

For the majority of it's existence, to my great surprise and enjoyment, My MySpace Blog was being read by at least 100 people a day.
And, it even had subscribers!

But, alas, My MySpace Blog has met it's End...
Not by any decision by myself, its Author...
But at the invisible hands of MySpace.com, itself.

At first I thought it might just be a widespread MySpace issue...
So, although I suddenly found myself unable to Create New Blogs, I thought no more of it and busied myself elsewhere. Surely MySpace would have the 'problem' fixed quickly... or so I thought.

...

Something awful just happened down the street from my home...
I heard male voices yelling... not an unusual thing to hear coming from the street at night...
But, tonight, the events didn't end with just yelling, posturing or even a minor scuffle...
The yelling developed into what sounded like a fight... what sounded like heavy objects being thrown...
I stopped writing about my Blog and went to my window...
I peered down the street to see a handful of people standing in the middle of the street.
Passing motorists and taxicabs began to stop in the road where the small group was standing.
I grabbed my binoculars and looked towards the crowd...
I could see what looked to me like a person laying on the ground, motionless.
I could make out dark hair on their head and a white shirt... and they weren't moving.
I called 911.
As I tried to explain the scene to the female operator - the sounds of men yelling,
the person lying motionless on the ground, the group of onlookers/witnesses - an SFPD squad car pulled up. I explained to her that the police had arrived, but she said her screen wasn't showing it. I gave her the location and described my vantage point - from the second story of my home one-half a block away. Apparently, the officers then called in their location, because she said, "O.K. Thank You.", and she hung up the phone.
I watched the scene until the Fire Department truck pulled up, completely blocking my view.
The person lying in the street had never moved.
Several more squad cars had arrived on the scene.
The police were questioning a tall man in a white t-shirt. He gestured with his hands, seeming to indicate a direction, perhaps the exit of the perpetrator(s).
Some of the officers pulled out tablets to write on.
No one seemed to be attending to the person still unmoving in the street.
Apparently, first aid wasn't required.
No one trying to rouse or comfort him.
I guess that means that he is dead.
... I'm kind of in shock at the moment.
I've always felt safe in my neighborhood.
And I still do. It's a nice neighborhood.
The arguing voices that I had heard spoke in a way that, to me, indicates the people involved weren't from around here.
After the ambulance ambled slowly away and the fire truck departed, a police car returned with a young person exiting the back seat. Perhaps it was a witness they drove around to try to identify the suspect(s).
I hope that they found the person(s) responsible.
Or that they soon do so.
I just keep thinking, "That person lying in the road - with people milling about making their statements to the police - that person no longer moving/breathing/living...
that person with no one offering comfort to them, no longer able to recieve comfort...
is/was someone's child... someone's baby...
And, at this very solemn moment, that Mother and Father have no idea of what sorrowful news is coming to them.
How very sad.
And, worst of all, in all likelihood... the death of this person was the result of something so worthless... so meaningless...
Like, someone accidentally bumping into someone else...
Or, someone thinking the other person "...gave them a look..."
And now, someone's child is dead.
Come on people...
Evolve, Already!

I'll finish my MySpace story another time...

For now, I'll just say this:
Please, everyone, tell those that you Love that You Love Them.
Do it often.
Be the Best You that You can Be.
'Cause, you never know...
And regrets... suck.

Peace, to You and Yours and All of Us.
L.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings From San Francisco!
Thanks For Reading Forget Big Brother...
I hope you find something herein that is informative, inspires interest, laughter, action and provides you with Gifts of Unknown Things.
Feel Free to Say "Hello!", Leave Comments, Offer Encouragement, Share a Funny or Related Item.
Best Wishes.
L.